A study on inclusion of vulnerable sections in the MGNREGA of Karnataka
Empowerment of the socially disadvantaged, especially, women, Scheduled Castes (SCs), and Scheduled Tribes (STs) is one of the goals of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act or MGNREGA (MORD&CWEPA, 2014). The MGREGA Sameeksha and other assessments note that SCSTs have participated in the scheme beyond their share of the population (MoRD, 2012). However, it is argued that there is inequitable participation of SCSTs in both employment creation and asset creation components of the scheme in Karnataka. Their study shows that the percentage of rural households having job cards is lower for SCSTs compared to other communities in the state of Karnataka.
Therefore, in the study commissioned by MGNREGS, Department of Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Government of Karnataka,
the true extent of SCST, women, and senior citizens' participation in MGNREGA will be examined besides studying the barriers affecting the same.
• To assess the extent of participation of SCSTs in the scheme compared to other communities
• To assess the state of participation of SCST women (who are doubly deprived) and SCST senior citizens in the scheme.
• To assess the state of participation of Persons with Disability (PWDs) in the scheme (irrespective of social category) and understand the effect of circular issued by the department for inclusion
• To assess the magnitude and duration of MGNREGA employment obtained by vulnerable sections such as SCSTs (including women and senior citizens) and PWDs compared to their expressed demand for employment and the reasons in any noticed gap between demand for and provision of employment
• To examine the enablers and barriers that influence SCST (including SCST women and senior citizens), PWDs, and transgenders’ demand for and participation in MGNREGA, including the implementation processes which shape the extent to which these groups participate in and benefit from the scheme.
• To examine the perspectives of different stakeholders regarding the enablers and barriers that are faced in providing the benefits of the scheme to the SCSTs.
• To make policy and implementation recommendations for enhancing the participation and benefits from MGNREGA to the SCSTs.
Project Result / Accomplishments: