Status of Senior Citizens in Karnataka: Evaluation of NOAPS and SSY schemes for Senior Citizens
This study was conducted to understand the effectiveness of IGNOAPS of Central Government and SSY of state government schemes in the state of Karnataka and its impact on the socio-economic conditions of elderly populations of the state. The study also aims to suggest a road map for policy makers in terms of amplifying the pension coverage for the poor and vulnerable elderly population in Karnataka.
|Project Name||Status of Senior Citizens in Karnataka: Evaluation of NOAPS and SSY schemes for Senior Citizens|
|Project Sanction Date||31 Jan 2019|
|Project Period||Jan 2019 to Jul 2019|
|Project Supported By||
- Review the functioning of Old age security for the poor in the country.
- Analyse the functioning of IGNOAPS of Central Government and SSY of state government and identify their contribution for the welfare of the poor.
- Analyse the knowledge and awareness about pension schemes among beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries and examine the enrolment process for various pension schemes in Karnataka.
- Study the pension disbursement mechanism to pension beneficiaries and the performance of pension schemes in Karnataka at micro level.
- Examine the adequacy of the financial assistance in providing a minimum livelihood to the old age people.
Project Result / Accomplishments:
Pension is the only major livelihood sources for most of the senior citizens who live alone. Therefore, there is a lot of dependence on the amount for purchase of necessities such as food, medicines and clothing. Irregularity of payment is a concern among senior citizens and this if streamlined, could be beneficial as there are cases where a share of this payment needs to be contributed to support family livelihood. There is over-dependence on middlemen for mobilising documents required for availing social security schemes. This is majorly noticeable among senior citizens who are illiterate.