GRAAM undertook a social business project to facilitate a group of ragi (a small millet) producers from Jagankote Haadi in H.D Kote taluk of Mysuru district. GRAAM helped to develop value added products from ragi to sustain ragi production and create perennial employment. GRAAM undertook a social business project with the assistance of NABARD financial services limited (NABFINS) to facilitate a group of ragi (a small millet) producers from Jagankote Haadi in H.D Kote taluk of Mysuru district. GRAAM helped develop value added products from ragi to sustain ragi production and create perennial employment.
- To develop systems and processes for producing ragi based food products in a cost effective, professional and hygienic manner
- To create a local market for ragi products, which would be a supplementary solution for nutritional problem being faced by local community, especially the tribal children
- To advocate using ragi based nutrition supplement in the schools and hostels run for tribal children by Government and other institutions in H D Kote taluk
- To develop an additional food product based on the market understanding and demand
- To facilitate the group to have an effective marketing linkage that reaches the product beyond HD Kote area and provide them a sustainable livelihood opportunity
Project Result / Accomplishments:
A study was conducted on the “Socio- Economic Condition and Nutrition Status of the Tribal Households from HD Kote Taluk of Mysuru District, Karnataka” to understand the impact of this initiative on the local community. GRAAM helped develop a system for producing ragi- based food products in a cost effective and hygienic manner. Local markets for ragi products were created as a supplementary solution for nutritional problems faced by local communities.