A Project to study Suitability of Prema Vidya Audio-Visual material for Teaching of Science, Math and Social Science at the secondary level in Yadgir District of Karnataka
Prema Vidya is technology-assisted intervention of Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement conceived to address the educational needs of the economically disadvantaged groups in urban schools of Bengaluru and southern districts of Karnataka. The project has met with success in these schools.
Prema Vidya teaching method is under implementation in Yadgir block of Yadgir district, Karnataka. There are 2 models in this project. While the School Support Services (SSS) model is being implemented in 29 schools, Saath Center model (iSSS) is under implementation in 11 schools. In these schools, audio- visual materials are being used to teach students. Yadgir is a very small district in Karnataka. Most students from this district have poor academic records and are the first school going students in their families. The students in Yadgir belong to a special socio-culture region and the difference can be noticed if we compare them to students from other parts of the State. They have their own language, religion and socio- culture.
|Project Name||A Project to study Suitability of Prema Vidya Audio-Visual material for Teaching of Science, Math and Social Science at the secondary level in Yadgir District of Karnataka|
|Project Sanction Date||10 Jun 2014|
|Project Period||Jun 2014 to Dec 2014|
|Project Location||Yadgir, Karnataka|
|Project Supported By||
To address the educational needs of the economically disadvantaged groups in urban schools of Bengaluru and southern districts of Karnataka through technology-assisted intervention.
Project Result / Accomplishments:
- Authorities who work on syllabus and work pattern should have to assess the importance and impact of audio visual materials and accordingly plan the syllabus.
- Special funds and donations are also to be reserved to provide modern audio-visual equipments/materials (subject-wise) to the middle level schools.
- Teachers should be trained in the use of audio visual techniques. It is not just technology (Audio-visual) that helps the students to better understand the subject. What matters more is effective utilization of the given technology by teachers to make learning interesting and grooming students.
- While planning to have audio-visuals for the students, emphasis on the usage of blackboard and other teaching aids should not be ignored and the same had to be discussed with the teaching staff.
- Both SSS and iSSS methods of teaching, which are in practice in Yadagir have advantages as well as disadvantages. This method of teaching will help the backward students and inspires them in learning. While the advantage in iSSS is that all the three subjects are taught in the same way, in SSS model, involvement of teachers in guiding students helps in complete learning.
- Full time involvement of teachers for understanding the audio-visual content and its technical details is important for purpose of passing on the desired benefits to students. The emphasis should be on capacity building to enhance their professionalism. This can be achieved by understanding the content in Prema Vidya audio-visual module fully before the start, to gain control over the subjects.
- It is necessary to train the head of the institution, school organizers and ‘SAATH’ centres, in new methods of teaching and learning.
- Activities in audio-visual method of teaching can be increased by focusing on asking questions related to exams and giving assignments.
- In addition to text book lessons, learning materials like CDs will assist both teachers and students.
- Teachers can also be helped by providing CDs containing additional information on the subject. This will help them in better preparation for the conduct of classes
- To involve students actively, they should be encouraged to make notes on the subjects. Teachers should help/guide the students in this process
- Along with the state syllabus, central syllabus subjects can also be included.