Evaluation of Scheme: Free Supply of Bicycles to 8th std. Students Studying in Government and Aided Schools and Students in Hostels of Social Welfare Department in Karnataka for the period 2006-07 to 2017-18
GoK introduced a scheme for providing free bicycles with an intention of improving school attendance, and subsequently the learning standards, at the secondary school level in 2006-07. In the process, while it was an attempt to improve access to school for secondary school students of rural and hilly areas, the scheme also aimed at improving the confidence levels of the children.
|Project Name||Evaluation of Scheme: Free Supply of Bicycles to 8th std. Students Studying in Government and Aided Schools and Students in Hostels of Social Welfare Department in Karnataka for the period 2006-07 to 2017-18|
|Project Sanction Date||19 Jun 2019|
|Project Period||Jun 2019 to Mar 2020|
|Project Supported By||
- Evaluate the impact of the scheme on access to secondary education for students across the categories and regions.
- Examine the impact of the scheme on girls- with regard to their access to education, convenience, and on development of self confidence among them.
- Evaluate the impact of the scheme with respect to enrolment, attendance and retention rate of the children in 8th grade and subsequent grades.
- Assess the impact of the scheme on transition rate and continuation of education till 10th grade.
- Assess the impact of the scheme on learning achievements of the students - boys and girls across the social groups
Project Result / Accomplishments:
- During discussion with parents and SDMC members it was observed that in majority of cases the family requires to spend Rs. 300 to 400 on the initial day itself, so the quality aspects such as tyres, tubes rims etc., need to improve for better utilization of the scheme.
- Even though there is a quality check provision at the school level involving SDMC members, it’s not happening in majority of cases. Hence, care should be taken so that school level committees function appropriately.
- Care should be taken such that all the schools receive cycles in the month of June.