Public Policy and Program Evaluation Workshop
3PE - Public Policy & Program Evaluation Workshop in collaboration with Cornell University USA and GRAAM India. From 23rd May to 04th June 2022 at New Delhi
- Key Highlights of the Course:
- Training by experienced Cornell Academicians and GRAAM’s Grassroots Research experts.
- Interactive sessions with policy experts from Niti Ayog and Senior Bureaucrats of GOI/State Govts.
- Special Lectures delivered by experts from international foundations, Academic Institutions & the Development sector.
- Hands-on training with exemplars/case studies on specific policies and programs.
- An Opportunity to meet & network with professionals from varied backgrounds and across the Globe.
- Early Bird offer and Scholarship opportunity for non-earning professionals (Ph.D. Scholars, students, etc.).
- Course Overview:
The ILR School of Cornell University, a leading school for applied social sciences in USA & Grassroots Research and Advocacy Movement (GRAAM), a Development Research and Public Policy Engagement Initiative in India, jointly presents this professional workshop. 3PE is intended to build capacity in understanding the process and methods of Program Evaluation and evidence-based policymaking. The objective is to create a professional Evaluation Community in India and design Program Evaluation systematically.
This Thirteen-day intense workshop will draw on the academic and professional expertise of Cornell University and GRAAM to provide participants with practical guidance for understanding Public Policy & Program Evaluation.
- Need for 3PE:
Program evaluations are increasingly being used for diverse purposes: strategic learning, transparency and accountability, program design and policy formulation. As the demand for rigorous Policy analysis rises, it is essential to build the capacity of government policymakers, policy think tanks, policy professionals, researchers, development practitioners &Civil Society leaders. Program Evaluation has emerged as a powerful instrument for enhancing policy effectiveness in recent years. We have researchers trained in research methodologies, but minimal platforms are available to hone one skill on Program Evaluation.
- Workshop Objectives:
- This workshop aims at enabling Professionals to build a culture of evidence-based policymaking.
- To reflect upon the importance of including rigorous evidence in the policy decision-making process.
- To provide required skills to develop Program Evaluation.
- To appreciate the advantage of mixed methods in program evaluation.
- To learn about different methods & techniques of Program evaluation.
- Learning Objectives:
The participant should, at the end of this course, have an understanding / be able to / become aware of the following -
- To have exposure to the field of public policy
- With a high-level view of the policy cycle
- Real-life sharing of experiences from the field of policy making
- To understand the evaluation design
- To understand and deconstruct program objectives
- Develop Theory of Change or Program Logic Model
- Evaluation Questions and Design
- To understand the stages in Evaluation and Techniques
- Select evaluation designs for different studies/requirements
- Break the design process into its constitutive components (approaches, tools etc.)
- Construct practical tools (questionnaires, interview guides), sample sizes etc., for data collection
- To know the practical difficulties of evaluating public programs on the ground and how to deal with them.
- Who Should Attend:
The program is primarily for mid-career professionals who know social science/policy research fundamentals. The Program is designed to build people in Government, Academia, Think-tanks, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) personnel and other Development Professionals.
Participants from our previous program who have benefited include those from the Govt - NGO - CSR sector, Management Consultants, Researchers pursuing their M.Phil., PhD & Post-doctoral Studies in Development Studies, Public Policy, Law, Management and the Social sciences. Participants should possess a basic understanding of Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods.
- TRAINING METHODOLOGY
The Training Methodology is broadly divided into Theoretical Foundations, Methods & tools
and Hands-on work on exemplars/case studies covering the following broad areas:
- Qualitative Evaluation (Research) Methods,
- Quantitative Evaluation (Research) Methods and
- Developing Evaluation Design for a given case study to apply the skills – Group Activities
The workshop includes:
- Lectures from experienced Cornell Academicians on Qualitative and Quantitative methods of evaluation and research design.
- Plenary or parallel discussion sessions on specific topics and current issues.
- Group exercises reinforce the material covered in the plenary and parallel tracks.
- Moderators work with each group to guide the conversation and provide technical support.
- Case studies allow participants to apply their knowledge to a case from the field.
- Special lectures from policymakers, including bureaucrats, politicians, and development professionals.
- Trainers/ Faculties:
The faculties bring with them extensive experience and expertise in the development sector. While Cornell comes with academic expertise, GRAAM brings in its grassroots policy research and evaluation expertise. All the faculties are renowned for their work in the areas of Research and Evaluation. Here is the list of faculties who will be teaching as part of the workshop.
Dr R. Balasubramaniam:
Member Capacity Building Commission, GOI.
Founder GRAAM & SVYM.
More at: https://drrbalu.com/
Prof. Sarosh Kuruvilla
Andrew J. Nathanson Family Professor in Industrial and Labor Relations
Prof. Sarah Besky
Director, Data Science and Evaluation Research, Autism Speaks.
Research Faculty at Cornell University’s School of Employment & Disability Institute.
Dr. Basavaraju R Shreshta
Executive Director, GRAAM
More at: https://graam.org.in/home/team/62
Head of Research at GRAAM.
More at: https://graam.org.in/home/team/10
9.What will you get out of this workshop?
The workshop will provide an introduction to public policy, policy analysis, program evaluation designs, tools and techniques, and an understanding of how they can be used to improve the quality of public policy decision-making.
- Introduction to an Overview of Policy Analysis.
- Phases of Public Policymaking.
- Basic Techniques for Conducting Policy Analysis.
- Understanding Quantitative & Qualitative Methods and Program Evaluation techniques.
- Special Sessions - in the Evenings
Special lectures are planned to provide additional insights into public policy, what the practitioners and bureaucrats expect from evaluators, and priorities in policymaking and analysis.
The sessions will be planned in consultation with Secretary Level Bureaucrats of Government of India, Senior Professionals from NITI Aayog, Academia and Civil Society Organisations.
The tentative topics for evening lectures / sessions / discussions are:
- Monitoring Large Scale Government Projects from a policymakers/practitioners’ perspective
- Developing Synergic Partnership with Stakeholders for effective implementation of public policies
- Addressing Policy Conflicts for delivering public good
- The Need for Program Evaluation – Perspectives of Large-Scale Development Foundations in India
- How evidence from evaluation playing a role in key policy decision and initiatives
It will be finalised shortly. The workshop will be conducted in New Delhi.
- Number of Seats Available
Maximum 50 candidates.
- Admission by Selection:
The admission to the 3PE program is by selection only. Interested candidates are required to submit the application (register). We will inform the selected candidates.
Scholarship and Special Discounts
Early Bird Discount will be available for the first 10 Applicants selected.
We offer up to 05 scholarships to the deserving (who are from Development Organisations - CSO / NGO, Students) candidates. The selection committee at GRAAM will take a final decision about the scholarship. You will be informed about the scholarship only if you are registered. Scholarship up to 50% of the course fee is available for selected candidates.
- IMPORTANT DATES
23rd May to 04th June 2022
Submission of Application
1st March to 30th March 2022
It will be done on Rolling Basis.
Admission Notification to Selected Candidates
31st March 2022
Last date for Early Bird Registration.
10th April 2022
Last Date for Registration
25th April 2022
Course Details and Pre-Reading Materials to the admitted Candidates
01st May 2022
Book your seats by reaching our registration team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited seats are available, and seats will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on the selection criteria of the selection panel.
Clink on the link below for Registration: